Veritas & Vignettes

A place to discuss the truth and humour in the world around us. Truth IS stranger than fiction.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Brave New World

For such a one as myself who dearly despises math in all its forms, I find it highly ironic that God, Himself, finds joy in communicating to me through numbers. I can often be overheard swearing up and down that the number 311, in its many forms has been persistently following me for years now. Every dorm room I've ever had; every time I look up at the clock in the afternoon...and, heaven forbid, even once, my GPA.

Life throws many curveballs. Big events take place in all peoples' lives. Mine usually requires some kind of air travel. And as such, God chooses to communicate the tone of my trip through my departing flight number. Far fetched you say? 'Fraid not.

For example, while schooling in Dijon, France, around Thanksgiving time, I found out that my mother, may God rest her soul, was very sick with cancer. In a bit of a panic, I decided I should fly home for what I did not know then but would learn would be her last Thanksgiving with us. The travel arrangments were a blur until the insurance agent booking my emergency flight home 24 hours in advance informed me that I would be on United Airlines Flight 911. Despite my desolate attitude I laughed inspite 0f myself. I actually remember asking her if she was joking as I thought to myself, 'well, either I'm getting home early or I'm goin' down!'

Right now it's 12:15pm on June 25, 2006. Numerically speaking no indicators that today should be all that different from any given Sunday. However, I'm getting on a plane at 4:30pm today bound for Atlanta, Georgia. My orientation and on-boarding training for my new career is taking me the entire length of the Eastern Sea Board. And, again, God's made a joke with me by putting me on Delta flight 1492.

So what is he telling me? I'm out to discover a new world like Columbus,...or that I'll spread small pox to the native Atlantans? *good grief* Perhaps He knows to joke with me because I'm a small details person. They say the Devil is in the details but I think that, instead, it is a place where His still small voice has the power to remind us He's still at the helm.

So today I've decided to feel intrepid instead of intimidated despite the biting sense of bitterness in my gut that wishes a certain woman were still here in body and spirit to coach me through this. If our God in heaven is indeed the God of all comfort He's described in the Scriptures to be, He'll stem the tide of that sadness too. I'm excited, if a little lonely, for this next leg of the journey. I grow weary of going these big steps alone but I know that when He does this, He wants my full attention.

So,...Delta flight 1492 will add itself to the other Ninas, Pintas and Santa Marias of my life...and away we go into the horizon toward a brave new world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home